Cecilia Diniz Behn ’99, Melanie Cree Green ’99 Awarded Research Grant

Posted September 4th, 2014 at 11:52 am.

Cecilia Diniz Behn ’99 and Melanie Cree Green ’99 were awarded funding for their co-written grant, titled “Hepatic and Adipose Insulin Resistance in Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome.” This research is a new mathematical model to better understand pre-diabetes in teenage girls. The funding for this research grant comes from a collaboration between Children’s Hospital Colorado-University of Colorado, where Green practices, and the Colorado School of Mines, where Behn is an assistant professor.

The pair were friends at Bryn Mawr but had lost touch until Green saw a listing in the Alumnae Bulletin class notes section that Behn had moved to Colorado.  In the process of getting in touch to welcome Behn to the area, she realized that her former soccer teammate was working in mathematical modeling of biological systems.  The pair started talking about common research interests and quickly progressed to applying for funding to collect some pilot data.

“I had been looking for someone with expertise in mathematical modeling for about a year before I had contacted Cecilia,” wrote Green in an email. “I had seen her notice in the Bulletin that she had moved to Colorado but it had no contact info. So I looked her up on the Mines page, and I realized that she may have exactly the expertise that I was looking for!”

Filed under: 1990s,grants Tags: by Diana Campeggio