Patty Gerstenblith ’71 Profiled in Chicago Tribune for Pioneering Work in Cultural Heritage Law

Posted February 12th, 2015 at 11:26 am.

The Chicago Tribune has published a lengthy Q&A with Patty Gerstenblith ’71, a distinguished research professor of law at DePaul University and director of its Center for Art, Museum, and Cultural Heritage Law.

From the article:

Q: How did you become interested in the classics?

A: My older brother used to read me myths as bedtime stories. Growing up in Brooklyn, I used to go to the Metropolitan Museum of Art all the time. They have a fantastic classical art exhibit. I actually chose my college (Bryn Mawr College) because it had a famous classics professor who had translated Homer’s “The Odyssey.”

Gerstenblith majored in classical and Near Eastern archaeology at Bryn Mawr. She is the founding president of the Lawyers Committee for Cultural Heritage Preservation (2005-2011), a director of the U.S. Committee of the Blue Shield, and co-chair of the ABA’s Art and Cultural Heritage Law Committee. In 2011, she was appointed by President Obama to serve as the chair of the President’s Cultural Property Advisory Committee in the U.S. Department of State, on which she had previously served as a public representative in the Clinton administration. More at her faculty profile.