Trustee Georgette (Gigi) Phillips ’81 Scales Mt. Kilimanjaro

Posted August 7th, 2012 at 2:17 pm.

On a recent trip to Africa, Bryn Mawr College Trustee Georgette (Gigi) Phillips ’81 successfully scaled Mt. Kilimanjaro.

“It was truly the most difficult physical thing I have done in my life,” wrote Phillips on the blog she and her husband Peter created to chronicle their journey. “Am I happy I did it? Absolutely. Will I do it again? No way José. The experience changed my life in both big ways and small and I am content to live with those lessons. I did not ‘leave it on the mountain:’ I kept it in my heart.”

The pair used their adventure as an opportunity to raise money for Commonwealth Youth Choirs by calling on friends and family to make donations in the amount equal to the distance they trekked.

For more on the climb, including additional photos, visit Peter and Gigi Hike Kilimanjaro.

Phillips is a Vice Dean of the Wharton School and is the Director of the Undergraduate Division; a Professor of Real Estate and Legal Studies at Wharton, and a Professor of Law at the University of Pennsylvania Law School. She was also an academic visitor at the London School of Economics. Prior to joining the Penn faculty she was in private law practice in New York and Philadelphia.